A Brief History of ALPC
|1951||A group of thirteen members from Bay Presbyterian Church start a branch Sunday School that meets each week at the Masonic Temple in Avon Lake.||1976||A long range planning committee is formed to consider the future needs of the church.|
|1954||On December 12th the Avon Lake Presbyterian Church is established with 71 charter members led by the Rev. George B. Dutton.||1977||The sanctuary is remodeled, with the installation of carpeting and new ceiling tiles, stained glass light panels, a carved oak communion table, upholstered pews, and a new organ.|
|1956||Ground is broken in April for a new church building on Electric Boulevard.||1986||Cornerstone Preschool is founded, encouraging children to have a positive attitude about themselves, others and the school environment|
|1957||The new building is dedicated in September.||1993||"Building the Vision," an extraordinary strategic planning campaign, is undertaken.|
|1958||Rev. Dutton retires in the fall. The membership of the church has increased to 220, and church school enrollment stands at 198 children.||1994||On April 10th Avon Lake Presbyterian Church breaks ground for a new sanctuary. On December 11th the new sanctuary is dedicated and the fortieth anniversary of the church is marked.|
|1959||The Rev. Ray B. Brugler leads the congregation in further ministry and development, with a membership of 357 when he leaves in April, 1964.||1997||As a result of the “Miracle Sunday” campaign, the church's debt is retired, and a new organ is purchased, installed and dedicated in the fall.|
|1964||In November, the Rev. Robert E. Swanson is called to be the pastor of Avon Lake Presbyterian Church.||1998||Rev. Al Hart retires in January, and the Reverend James C. Butler is called to be interim minister in the spring.
On December 21st, the Mission Study Task Force presents its report to Session.
|1967||In response to a growing congregation, five classrooms, a church office, a pastor's study, and a new entry area are constructed and dedicated.||2000||The Rev. Thomas C. Robinson is called and joins the staff of Avon Lake Presbyterian Church on February 16th.|
|1968||In September, Reverend Swanson leaves the pulpit at Avon Lake after four years.||2001||The congregation of Avon Lake Presbyterian Church enthusiastically accepts the recommendation by Session to hire an Associate Pastor with special responsibility for youth ministry.|
|1969||The Reverend Alfred A. Hart is installed as pastor in April.||2003||The Rev. K. Nicholas Yoda accepts the call of Avon Lake Presbyterian Church to minister to its young people.|
|1975||In September, the Chapel-in-the-Woods, an open-air chapel built by members of the Boy Scouts, is dedicated as a special place of worship for the congregation of Avon Lake Presbyterian Church during the summer months.||2004||The congregation celebrates its 50th anniversary by sponsoring three leadership-training events, inviting people from throughout the Presbytery of the Western Reserve, and hosting a special celebratory luncheon for the congregation.|
|2009||Dr. Yoda accepts the call of his own church and Dr. Robinson leaves the pulpit as well. Dr. Bill Lindeman is appointed the interim minister in 2010.|
|2011||Reverend Charles (Charlie) Swartz accepts the call to minister to the Avon Lake Presbyterian Church|